Driving To Europe Post Brexit: What You Need To Know

Driving To Europe Post Brexit: What You Need To Know

What you need to Drive to Europe – Travel to Europe by car from the UK

What you need to know: Travel to Europe by car post Brexit

✈ In this video:
Driving To Europe Post Brexit: What You Need To Know

What you need to know drive to Europe post Brexit

If you are looking for a European trip by car from the UK either with friends, family or even alone and you are not sure about what is required to make a road trip easy and possible

all the information you need to know before finalising your plan

Before starting to pack your luggage, just make sure that important documents are ready, here is your documents checklist, you just need to pick (if you already have) or apply for (if you haven’t).

documents you need * valid driving licence
* Valid passport
* Vehicle insurance
* Travelling insurance

documents you need * Vehicle registration certificate (if you are taking your own car)
* Motor insurance certificate (if you are taking your own car)

Valid driving licence

You need to take your valid driving licence (not provisional) with you when travelling by car in Europe.

At the moment, there is no need to have a special driving licence, Great Britain and Northern Ireland driving licence are still valid in all countries in the EU and European Economic Area (EEA).

However from 2021 (after the transition period of Brexit), when visiting EU countries and Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland

you may need some extra documents like an International driving permit (IDP) to drive in some countries that cost £5.50.

IDP is a requirement in more than 140 countries globally.

For instance, in Andorra and Hungary, you will need one even if you have got a green paper UK driving licence, on the other hand in Turkey you will need an IDP if you plan to stay more than three months.

As Switzerland is not in either the EU or EEA but UK driving licences are also valid there for age 18 or over.


A valid passport obviously, make sure your passport date is still valid and has at least 6 months left to expire.

The UK citizens still can travel visa-free towards the EU and Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

you are able to travel and stay in European countries for up to 90 days in any 180-day long period.

Valid passports can still be used and you do not need to have six months left on your passport to travel to the EU. Your passport does, however, need to be valid for the whole of your trip.

However from 2021, when you need to travel for these areas from the UK you’ll need your passport to both: * at least six months left to expire and
* be less than 10-years-old (even if it has six months or more left)

If you’re still unsure about your application, let us help you out!

✈ Read the full article at


✈ Apply for your Schengen Visa at https://immigrationandmigration.com/schengen-visas to get your Schengen Visa!


✈ Find us on social media:
. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/immigrationandmigration/
. Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/iam.uk/
. Twitter: https://twitter.com/iam_immigration
. Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/company/iam-immigration
. Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/iam_immigration/


Check out our latest video: “Schengen Visa Types”



Spread the love

Leave a Reply

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.